Yummy After School Snack – Mixed Autumn Vegetable Soup
Homemade Autumn / Fall Vegetable Soup – a perfect after school snack
Homemade soup and some brown bread or a bread roll is a perfect after school snack plus its a great way of getting lots of fresh vegetables into children!
I make a big pot of this soup or something similar every Sunday so that it is to hand in the fridge for the week ahead. It’s a tasty, nutritious snack, perfect for hungry school kids and will keep them going until dinner time!
- Any vegetables that you like and best to use those that are currently in season!
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 Green pepper
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- 4 Carrots
- 1 medium onion
- clove of garlic
- 5 Tomatoes
- Tin of chopped tomatoes
- Herbs of choice
- 300ml water
- Chop and fry the onion in a little olive oil.
- Roughly chop the vegetables and lightly fry with the onions.
- Add crushed garlic and herbs of choice – we used basil and parsley
- Add tin of chopped tomatoes
- Add water until all veg covered with water.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce temperature and leave to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Blitz with a handheld food blender or in your food processor.
- Leave to cool and store in the fridge – will keep for one week
- Can also be frozen.
Enjoy with some wholemeal bread or crusty bread rolls! It’s the perfect healthy comfort food snack for chilly autumn days!