Cornstarch / Cornflour Dough Pumpkin Hanging Decorations
Cornstarch dough is the perfect dough for making decorations to hang on a tree. These cute little pumpkins are great for this time of year to add an autumnal feel plus they are perfect for Halloween and Thanksgiving too!
We have a plain white tree/branch in a tin bucket in our home all year round. As the seasons change we change the decorations on it. Currently we have the clay autumn leaves we recently made hanging on it as well as some fabric fall coloured leaves, but we felt it was lacking a little something! So, we decided to make cute little pumpkins to hang on it too. We have used this same recipe to make Christmas decorations in the past, all that changeS are the colours and shapes!
- 2 cups corn flour or corn starch
- 2 cups salt
- 1 – 1.5 cups of hot water
- Orange paint of food colouring
- Bring the water and salt to the boil (just 1 cup, you can always add more!)
- Mix in the cornstarch and paint/food colouring.
- Mix into a dough, add more water if needed.
- Knead into a smooth ball – should be a lovely smooth, silky and soft dough.
- Roll out using rolling pin.
- Cut out pumpkins shapes using a pumpkin cookie cutter.
- Punch a hole for the ribbon by passing a drinking straw through the pumpkin near the top of the decoration
- Lay out pumpkins on a sheet of baking paper on a cookie tray.
- Cook on a very low heat for about 90 minutes. Alternatively this dough will also air dry.
- Pass a ribbon through each hole to hang the decorations!
How are you decorating your home for this autumn? Do you make your own decorations as keepsakes? We would love to hear about your projects!
Take a sneak peek at Our Little House in the Country and see our Fall decorations and what Autumn activities we have been up to lately by having a browse through our Instagram!