Fizzy Glittery Playdough / Gloop – Super Sensory Fun!
A group of fantastic bloggers from the Kid Blogger Network (of which I am a member) are running a year long linky called “12 Months of Sensory Dough”. Each month there is a theme for the dough and bloggers are encouraged to experiment with the theme and share their experiences (good and bad). We love sensory play and make a lot of playdough and love to experiment with new recipes. So, as it was raining heavily this morning I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to experiment with fizzy dough, this months theme!!!! The Bloggers hosting this fantastic project are:
- Lemon Lime Adventures
- Look! We’re Learning!
- Glittering Muffins
- Still Playing School
- Little Bins for Little Hands
- Natural Beach Living
- The Eyes of a Boy
- Powerful Mothering
- I Heart Crafty Things
- Wildflower Ramblings
- Delightful Learning
- The Life of Jennifer Dawn
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornflour /cornstarch
- 1 cup bicarbonate of soda
- lemon juice
- blue paint
- We started out like we usually do when making playdough, mixing salt, flour, cornflour and water together, this time we also added the bicarbonate of soda.
- We mixed it really well. As we were adding cornflour, the consistency became quite Gloop-like so we added a little more flour as our original plan was to make playdough.
- When we had our dough made we emptied it out onto the table to knead.
- Once we had made our little balls of dough I gave Doodles and Oodles a squeezy container of pure lemon juice.
- They squeezed it onto the dough and it started to fizz and bubble! D was fascinated by the sound he made and repeatedly placed his face close to the table to listen to the fizzing noise.
- Adding the lemon juice made the dough very gloopy so all out messy play ensued!
- We then added some blue paint and more glitter and started swishing it around the table – really great fun. The flour made it quite sticky, yet the cornflour meant it was smooth and shiny.
- One of our favourite things to do with gloop or slime or whatever messy recipe we have decided to make on a given day is to play with our toys in it. Today, Doodles and Oodles had lots of fun driving their toy cars around in the glittery, gloopy mess!
While we originally intended to try and make fizzy playdough, we ended up with fizzy glittery goop – a really fun experiment, plus a fantastic sensory experience and open ended play activity! If you like the look of this activity then you might like to try our Gloriously Green Gloop or Colour Surprise Playdough or even our Ooey Gooey Slime. We have several sensory and messy play recipes in the Sensory/Messy Play section of our Kids Activities, Crafts and Books section of our blog. I’d love to hear how you get on if you try any of the activities. As always please feel free to share a link to your own playdough posts in the comments or on our Facebook page and we would be delighted to share them on Facebook and Pinterest! Have fun! Ciara x