Our “Chill Out” Plan for a Rotten Rainy Day
So much for the gorgeous Spring weather, it is pouring rain today, it is so dark that we have to have all the lights on! We also have the painters in our home today, painting our new playroom and our new master bedroom (we are switching a few of the rooms around to make the house more suited to our current needs, more on that later in the week!).
I have decided that today is going to be a chill out day here! We are going to keep things calm and simple as we will be confined (let’s hope the children will be willing participants! We are off to a good start though, Oodles(2) is refusing to get dressed and is staying in her PJs, she even came into Doodle’s preschool in her pink rain coat, pink boots, pink umbrella and her very cute and cosy floral fleece pyjamas!
- Light a roaring big fire – tick, already done!
- Watch Frozen – I know, I know, how can we not have seen it yet!!!! I downloaded it from iTunes last night. We will be snuggling up on the couch with popcorn and hot chocolate this afternoon to finally see it!
- Read “Friends” by Kim Lewis – this is one of our Spring books and I will be posting about it tomorrow.
- Our Big Blue Box – I’ll definitely be encouraging D and O to play with this today as the playroom and most of their toys are out of commission today! You can take a look at the activities we have in our box here.
- Drawing, painting, colouring – I have the markers, crayons, pencils and paints and lots of paper left out on the little kiddy table in our kitchen to be used.
- Jump in muddy puddles – O is a huge Peppa Pig fan, so is D but he wont admit it!!! Everytime it rains she asks to jump in muddy puddles like Peppa. So we will be donning our boots and rain gear and heading out for splashing fun in the garden (hopefully only for a few minutes as I HATE the rain, but I did promise!).
- Dressing up box – D and O already spotted this earlier this morning, so no doubt we’ll be parading around in all sorts of wonderful costumes later on. A recent favourite game of theirs is “Going on Holiday”. They have been packing up little suitcases and back packs and dressing up in all sorts of outfits and heading off on their holidays. It is so funny to hear them planning their trips, I overheard D telling O this yesterday – “first we need to park at the airport, then we need to get a plane, a taxi, maybe a bus and then we should be there!!!! Don’t forget to take your shoes off at the machines (airport security!)” . I also heard O telling their teddy bear children “yes darling, we can go to McDonalds for lunch in the airport”.
- Beef casserole and mashed potatoes for dinner- I made this yesterday and it will be the perfect comfort food for such a miserable day.
- Extra screen time – I try to limit (sometimes not very successfully) screen time. But on a day like today, when the weather is awful and there are workmen in the house and everything is upside down because the contents of two rooms have been emptied so that they can be painted (I know, I’m being very moanny today), I will definitely be allowing extra time both on the iPads and in front of the TV. Oodles is playing away happily on my iPad at the moment!
- Gym – I will definitely be going to the gym as soon as Mr G gets home tonight. I try to get to the gym at least 3 times per week, preferably 4 and I try to ensure that I work out on the days that we have been stuck at home all day as a way to unwind.
That should keep us busy in a nice, calm way today and hopefully keep my sanity intact. I know it sounds ridiculous but wet, dark weather makes me feel claustrophobic. I don’t mind stormy weather, cold weather, ice, snow, etc but dark, dreary, nonstop rain just bugs me! Plus I hate having work done to the house, I know it will be worth it and by the weekend I’ll be thrilled with our new rooms but I’m not a big fan of having people I don’t know very well in our home even if they are our really lovely, very friendly, extremely efficient painter decorators!
Ok, time to snap out that negativity and get working through our fun filled day!